top of page


Château d'Amblie, built in the late 18th century, was also a camp for thousands of wounded from Caen during the Second World War.


The village

The village of Amblie is classified as a Remarkable Heritage Site by the French Ministry of Culture.


It belongs to the commune of Pont-sur-Seulles in the Bessin region, east of Bayeux and northwest of Caen, near the Côte de Nacre. The area boasts a wealth of historical and natural attractions. In terms of land use and buildings, the commune is marked by its past economic activity, mainly between 1700 and 1850: extraction and cutting of Orival stone from Merovingian times, strong agricultural activity, particularly cereal farming, development of numerous mills along the Seulles and Thue rivers, textile activity in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its privileged geographical location between town and country, close to the coast, explains the presence of numerous mansions, manor houses and small castles surrounded by gardens and parks, built by Caen notables.

Le château

Inspired by the Louis XV style, the original château dates back to the early 18th century. At the time, there was only a ground floor covered by a Mansard roof. Today, clues to the château's origins can be found in the large kitchen, its souillarde and fireplace, and the wood panelling in the grand salon. 


In 1799, the château was raised by adding a first and second floor. The chapel and right wing were added around 1848 and completed during the Second Empire, as was the decoration of the large dining room with its mahogany display cabinets and the coats of arms of the Cairon and Dauger owner families.

Coat of arms


In 1866, Marie de Cairon married Viscount Robert de Bonvouloir at the Château d'Amblie. The chateau’s new coat of arms represents the Bonvouloir’s family crest:

  • a lion, armed and fierce (left) and,

  • the Cairon’s family crest: three sea shells (right)

 The family motto "Good will and loyalty" is found below.


The village of Amblie is occupied by the 2nd Battalion of Grenadier-Regiment 736 of the 716th German Infantry Division. The command post of the 2nd Battery of the Schwere-Artillerie-Abteilung 989 was set up at Château d'Amblie.

On June 6, 1944, Company B of the 1st Battalion Canadian Scottish Regiment (7th Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division) landed at Juno Beach, Graye-sur-Mer. The Canadians advanced, keeping the Seulles River in their grasp. They seized the bridge west of Reviers and approached Amblie from the northeast.

A few days later, the Canadian army set up its tactical headquarters at Château d'Amblie.
The Royal Engineers 25th Airfield Construction Group set up an airfield in the fields, coded ALG B-14. The airstrip is mainly used for casualty evacuation and personnel transport. In July, almost 4,000 refugees pass through Amblie, and a camp is set up on the castle grounds.

bottom of page